- Starts at: Tromsø
- Ends at: Tromsø
- Duration: 7 Days / 6 Nights
Witnessing the Aurora Borealis is an unforgettable experience and there is no better place to see it than Norway. This phenomenon of electrically charged particles that enter the earth’s atmosphere and collide with gasses produces a dramatic light show of shimmering green and red that pulsate across the sky.
This 7 night voyage leaves from the Tromso, the gateway to the Norwegian Arctic, spending several days sailing the north coasts of Senja and Andfjorden, where whales are often spotted diving for squid. It is not unusual to spot white-tailed eagles as they feed on their favourite herring. Glorious hikes in and around the quaint fishing villages, panoramic views of jagged mountains and of course the Aurora Borealis are just a few Nordic delights on offer.
The following itinerary details the North Norway, Aurora Borealis & Whales. Please do contact us for more information about this amazing voyage.
Your adventure begins in Tromsø, nicknamed the “Paris of the North,” located in an area rich with Norse and Sámi history. Enjoy exploring this sub-Arctic Norwegian town, said to have been inhabited since the last ice age.
Early in the morning, you depart from Tromsø. The itinerary depends largely on the weather conditions, the amount of daylight during the voyage, and the expected location of the whales. You might sail clockwise or counter-clockwise around the island of Senja.
You spend the next several days along the north coasts of Senja and Andfjorden, areas where many whales have been spotted in recent years. Keep a look out for sperm whales and other whale species here. Near Andenes, along the edge of the continental shelf, whales dive particularly deep to feed on giant squid. You may also see white-tailed eagles, one of the largest birds of prey in Europe, vying for their share of the herring. In the afternoon, you find a place for the night in one of the scenic fishing villages nearby, such as Skrolsvik, Andenes, Gryllefjorden, or Sommarøy. Once the sun has set, you can make small hikes along the coast – and maybe even catch sight of the aurora.
Continuing your circumnavigation of Senja, you sail to the small island of Sommarøy. Here there are good opportunities to see the northern lights as well as embark on pleasant hikes. You spend the last morning of the cruise exploring the island’s small bays and white beaches. You can even climb the 211-meter-high (692 feet) Mount Hillesøya, the summit of which affords panoramic views of the rugged coastline. That afternoon you sail back to Tromsø. After spending the night on board, you disembark the following day with memories that will accompany you wherever your next adventure lies.
For our latest discounts and exclusive deals see our special offers page.
Included in the price of this voyage:
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac.
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme.
- AECO fees and governmental taxes.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
Not included in the price of this voyage:
- Pre- and post- land arrangements.
- Transfers to / from the vessel.
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Meals ashore.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory).
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
- We set off on what we hoped would be one of life’s great adventures.Greg Ellis – Australia
- Angie and Caro, thank you both hugely for the opportunity to take part in the ES Centenary Voyage.Peter McCarthy – New Zealand
- “Elizabeth and I have had the most wonderful holiday with a great group of people.Jean Wood – UK
- I want to thank you for putting together a lifetime experience.Shirley Kaplan – South Africa
- Yes we were an EXCEPTIONAL group and yes we were in PARADISE but Ice Tracks Expeditions made it all happen.Shirley Kaplan – Cape Town, South Africa